Friday, November 19, 2010

Week Ten

This past week was shortened to one day as Amy was gone on Tuesday. Thursday involved hardly any drawing which was nice to have a day off. Instead we started the day by doing a quick contour drawing of our shell which we would later try putting ink on. We spoke a long time about what these next two shell drawing would look like. The idea is that we will do a cross contour drawing of our shell, still putting in about 5 hours of just cross contours and observing closely. After that we will apply an ink wash to our shell. It will be a change from what we’ve been doing as far as atmospheric perspective goes. Up until now we have been drawing thicker, bolder lines where the shell is closes to us. However, when we apply ink wash we are to put the darkest areas when the shell has a depression or is farther away. It will be complete opposite but hopefully not too hard to pull off. The ink will inevitably wash away some of our lines but that is ok. We did a little practice with ink in class on Thursday and I’m glad we did. I started very light, adding only one drop of ink to my water and it did nothing but color the water. So I added a few more drop and still nothing was showing up on my paper. I started to layer the ink wash on my page and it started to faintly show up which was nice. I then added more and more ink to see how deep the color would go. I also tried my best to get a feel for how the water moves down the page which was tricky to keep it in the lines where I had intended but then again that is just part of the assignment. I am excited to give this a try and see how everyone’s comes out!

2 comments:

  1. I totally forgot about how we have to invert the way we showed shadow and depth. The way we are doing it with ink (light on highlights and dark in shadows) is how we do sketches in my industrial design classes so I hope that will be easier. I accidentally did my practice sketch in the old style in class. Oops.

    I really like your idea of layering really light shades. I tried for the right color right away, but that leaves me little room for error once I apply it to the page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also tried to use the layering technique with the ink on the shell. I think it really helps to show all of the movement in the shell and makes it easier to catch all of the subtle details.

    ReplyDelete