Thursday, November 4, 2010

Week Eight

For starters, I cannot believe it is already week eight. This semester is definitely picking up the pace. This past week we spent a lot of time doing gesture drawings and more long drawings. On Tuesday we were taught the structure of the knees and more of the leg. Therefore that is what we focused on drawing this week as well. On Thursday we spent a considerable amount of class time working on a long drawing where the model was at a level that allowed us to focus on the knees and legs. I have posted my drawing of that below. I have noticed a reoccurring problem with my proportions is that I tend to draw the torso too long. I managed to do that same thing once again today. That is why you can see where the legs were originally positioned until Amy came by and showed me where the tops of the thighs should rest on the page.

As homework this week we have been working on our next shell drawing. I have put in a few hours as of now and plan on doing a few more to put some finishing touches on it. I feel more confident in my shell drawing this time around in most ways although I am still struggling with a few things. One of the biggest things I have noticed is that I am better at taking my time when drawing. My lines are more delicate than they used to be because I am taking more time to observe the shell.

5 comments:

  1. Your drawing turned out great! This pose was especially hard since everything was foreshortened or at a weird angle! I've also been making the torso much too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was keeping an eye on this drawing as it was taking shape and it turned out really nice. I was also having trouble with making the torso to tall. Another thing that i noticed about my own drawing, is that when I look at the drawing without the model for reference some pieces look disproportionate, however, when you can compare the drawing to the model, things seem to look nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved seeing your drawing, i can tell you were behind me that day because my drawing of K turned out pretty much like that but just longer legs because i was on a drawing horse. I have always admired your work, i think that the way you lay your lines down are beautiful, and it has been something that i have been trying to work on this semester. ha, although not too much improvements have happened i am slowly getting better and it is fun to see someone in the class that is able to have achieve something that i am striving for. I think you did a successful job at drawing her thighs. they were kind of tricky for me because of the foreshortening but they are very nicely done. I can notice that you had to erase some of her shins and feet. Know that I too like to elongate the model. Its harder for me to find her proportions because if i dont elongate them i feel like i am making her into a blob, but i knwo thats not right. I'm looking forward to seeing your shell with the cross contour because they are always so beautiful, and i bet with the ink it will take your art to the next level! =) happy drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this drawing. I think your proportions turned out quite nicely. On a superficial note, I love the background for this blog. It's very aesthetically pleasing. I am trying to take my time as well when drawing and it shows. This drawing you did of K I know we did in a 3 hour setting, so I can see you worked very hard at trying to get the proportions to fall right-the fall of the breast and the foreshortening of the arms. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. for some reason i found the foot on the left of the image (the models right foot) aesthetically pleasing... i dont really know why because i havent taken aesthetics but i like how it is shaped and the line weight...

    ReplyDelete