Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Week Nine

Class will only be held on Tuesday this week due to Midprogram review so what we did today was all there was to this week. We started off the class by putting up our shell drawings and getting into small groups to critique them. My group did not have  a whole lot to say although they did say that I had improved a lot since my last shell drawing which was nice to hear. They felt that my diagonal was especially better and I represented space better as well. This drawing did a better job of taking up the entire page and they also liked my line weights for the most part. After our critiques we learned about feet and then we practiced drawing them. I’ll get back to that in a moment but while we drew feet our professor went around and left notes of what she thought of our drawings. Amy really liked my use of space but she felt I could have added more cross contour lines which I agree with. She mentioned that the viewer should not have to guess what is going on in the drawing and I see exactly what she is talking about. The front of my shell gets a bit confusing as far as planes go.
Now back to drawing feet. I’ve always known drawing hands and feet are particularly difficult but once I got the hang of finding the planes I feel my drawings were more convincing. I still have a very long ways to go to make my feet look realistic rather than round cartoon drawings of feet. The human body always seems so soft and curvy but I find drawings to be more realistic when I purposely angle things or make them more blocky.
Here is my shell drawing:

3 comments:

  1. Ok. Third time trying to post this. First I clicked the picture in the middle of writing. Mistake. Had to restart. Clicked post the second time around. Missed the stupid captcha so it didn't post. I suck at this. Basically I described the how I thought yours was superior to mine in quality. I then went on to say that I appreciate the neat craft of your lines and cleanliness of your paper because I have a hard time with that. And finally I stated that I thought you could have used a few more lines to describe the form a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way about your hands and feet concerns. Definitely after we discussed the planes and the arches it seemed more realistic. I am just worried we will not be able to have that kind of time and detail with hands and the faces as well. Time is ticking away. Also, lovely shell drawing, good use of no outlines and only contours, definitely something I have to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your minimal approach to the cross contour. I often find my shells turn out in a similar mode. Its really fascinating how descriptive just a couple of lines can be.

    ReplyDelete