Thursday, September 30, 2010

Week Three


This past week we spent more time developing our skills at drawing a live model, studying our manikins, and added the rib cage to our studies as well. I can see how the spine is the most important thing to start with when drawing the human body. The rib cage comes next which helps give our drawings volume and will also help with proportions in the long run. We were taught that when drawing the rib cage it is best to draw it as an egg which at first seemed odd but after trying it out it made sense.
When it comes to modeling muscles with clay on our manikins I have a long ways to go. It helped a lot to see examples of other students’ work that had done the assignment well. First and foremost I need to work on my craft. I struggled with the clay and getting it to stick to the plastic manikin but after seeing that others accomplished that feat, I know that I can too. I also need to study the proportions of my muscles and make them look more like a cohesive grouping of muscles. I plan to redo my current work before moving on to the abdominals next week.
As far as drawing goes I feel that I am continuing to improve my skills. I have been practicing drawing with better techniques such as standing an arms length away from my paper and holding my utensil differently so that I draw from the shoulder. I have also managed to slow down my drawing and really observe more. By doing that I’ve noticed that my hand is more coordinated with what my eye sees and my drawings are improving because of it.
I have attatched one of my contour drawings from this week.

2 comments:

  1. It's great that you are practicing your drawing form, and seeing an improvement in your work. I know it's something that I need to be working on. As soon as we jump into drawings in class I generally forget about it until the teacher reminds us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how you didn't use outlines! It's very difficult to accomplish but you can tell the form well :)

    ReplyDelete