Thursday, December 9, 2010

Week Thirteen

This past week was a busy one! In life drawing we practiced drawing the hands and skull. We also handed in our shell drawings.
I’ve always thought of hands as the hardest thing to draw EVER. Amy’s lecture helped a lot though. Learning how to trick the eye or slightly add drama to what you see makes a world of difference. I have attached my attempt at drawing a hand. It came out better than I thought but I have a long ways to go if I want to draw a hand that looks believable.
I really enjoyed drawing the skull. I was quite pleased with my drawings. I wish I had taken a photo of these to post but I did not. Maybe in my next post I can include an image. I usually struggle most with proportion but for some reason it clicked when I drew the skull. I specifically asked Amy about my proportion and while it wasn’t perfect, it was closer than I’ve ever been before. I found the cranium to be most challenging. Simple outlining it made it look flat but there wasn’t a whole lot of detail to add that would give it some volume. I tried my best but was struggling with that. I really enjoyed drawing the face of the skull, it was so interesting and angular.
As for my shell drawing, my classmate critique gave me some good tips. There were certain areas they really enjoyed, particularly where I had little to no ink wash. They wanted to see more shadows under the shell to ground it which I completely agreed with. I’m hoping my next shell drawing can maintain the good qualities my current shell drawing had while improving its flaws.


4 comments:

  1. your shell is wonderful! even though you used black india ink, the shell still feels so light and airy! the contour lines on the inside dont quite make sense, I feel like they should disappear inside the shell more? I'm not really sure, I cant seem to grasp how to make the cavity of the shell look correct in my drawings either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your shell drawing turned out really well :) Also your hand is beautiful...who was your hand model ? ;) Have a good weekend! One more week -holler!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an excellent shell. The curvature of the lines on the left side work perfectly; it really feels as though I could reach my fingers inside and curl them underneath. The reservation you used with the ink turned out really well, too. It creates a cool calming atmosphere on the page. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the space created within your shell. The way you let the edges of you shell curve over really help sell it as a curved, spacious form. Also, your hand it really lovely, and you did a good job describing the form of the fingers while being very organic, but still showing the different knuckles (and not sausage like)

    ReplyDelete